Skip to main content

Funding and Financial Assistance

Healthy Soils Program Grants

CDFA is currently accepting applications from agricultural producers for grants that allow the implementation of healthy soil practices on their properties. These BMP's include but are not limited to the application of compost and mulch, planting cover crop, hedgerows, and native pollinator planting, among many others. Applications due March 8, 2019. Technical assistance is available to help develop the application with the applicant, and is provided by Mission RCD. Please contact Lance Andersen for more information. or (760) 728-1332. 


USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service

The Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) is an agency of the United States Department of Agriculture. NRCS provides financial assistance to eligible landowners and agricultural producers to help manage natural resources in a sustainable manner. NRCS contracts with landowners to help plan and implement conservation practices that are aimed at improving natural resources on agricultural lands.

The 2014 Farm Bill provides several financial assistance programs for agricultural land, including the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP). EQIP provides payments to program participants after conservation practices and activities identified in an EQIP plan of operations are implemented.

For more information on financial assistance from NRCS, visit the NRCS financial assistance webpage or contact your local USDA Service Center.

The USDA Service Center serving San Diego County residents is the Escondido Service Center located at:

900 Canterbury Place, Suite 320
Escondido, CA 92025
Phone: (760) 745-2061
Fax: (760) 745-3210

Other local service centers

USDA Farm Service Agency

The United States Department of Agriculture Farm Service Agency (FSA) administers several farm loan programs aimed at helping agricultural producers establish, improve, expand, transition, and strengthen farms and ranches. For additional information on FSA farm loan programs, visit the FSA Farm Loan website and review the Farm Loan Information Chart.

The FSA, in cooperation with NRCS, also administers several voluntary conservation related programs for agricultural lands that work to address conservation issues related to farming and ranching. Conservation issues include: soil erosion, drinking water protection, and wildlife habitat preservation. More information on FSA conservation programs can be found on FSA’s Conservation Programs website.

The Riverside County FSA Offices services San Diego County residents:

81-077 Indio Blvd.
Indio, CA 92201
Phone: (760) 347-3675 ext. 2
Fax: (760) 342-5346

Metropolitan Water District of Southern California

The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California (MWD) and its 26 public member agencies provide financial incentives through the Water Saving Incentive Program (WSIP). Agricultural customers within MWD’s service area are encouraged to submit applications for water efficiency projects. Example projects include improving existing irrigation systems by replacing older, less water efficient equipment with new, highly efficient equipment.

For additional program information, visit the WSIP website or contact Gary Tilkian at:

California Department of Food and Agriculture

The California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) periodically has competitive grants available. Agricultural producers are encouraged to check the CDFA website for upcoming grant solicitation and funding opportunities.